The Ariege is a haven for hikers, photographers and nature lovers, both young and old. Located in the Midi-Pyrenees, home of the famous Tour de France, it provides a host of outdoor activities including canoeing, canyoning, climbing, paragliding, fishing, walking and of course, cycling.
The area has a rich historical heritage with many tourists coming each year to follow the trail through cathar country, enjoying its many medieval towns, (Mirepoix, Foix) castles (Montsegur, Foix) and prehistoric caves (Niaux, Mas d'Azil).
From December to March the area is also popular for winter sports, including all forms of skiing, snowboarding and snow shoeing.
The Domaine du Hameau Baylesse is also located:
- 10 min from the village of Bélesta and its magnificent forests, or Montbel lake (swimming, sailing and fishing)
- 15 min from the famous Montsegur castle, or the small medieval city of Mirepoix.
- 30 min from the ski resort Les Monts d’Olmes (1500 à 2000 m)
- 30 min from Foix and its castle, from Tarascon-sur-Ariège and the prehistoric caves of Niaux
- 45 min from the old city of Carcassonne
- 1h from Toulouse
- 1h 45mins from the mediterranean sea (Narbonne, Perpignan...) or Andora